- Describe your sound in three words
emotional depth, groove, film music
- Most electronic producers nowadays focus on sound design. You on the other hand combine a very warm sound with exceptional melodic elements. Can you tell us more about your creative process? What’s your musical background?
That’s great to hear, thanks! My Parents are both classical violinists playing in a country band and as a young drummer the only way to study music in Europe was to study jazz. Both of those conditions turned out to become my most essential elements of my musical background. My fascination for electronic sound design has evolved over the recent years but I guess composing and arranging for real instruments – putting more emphasis in the arrangement of the actual notes played besides designing the sound of them – will always be a part of my work.
- When it comes to live performance, is realistically Electronika a genre that can be performed live?
For me personally I’m not so much into performing the sound of synths and other machines with real instruments, because those machines are their own authentic class of instruments. So performing electronica means feeding the machines and turning the knobs in front of the audience. Wich has proven successful in the last 3 decades, but until now it has its harmonic boundaries. It’s hard to perform broader musical arrangements unless you use playbacks or have a whole band playing synths – wich for me doesn’t do it either, cause synths often sound great with that sequenced and synchronised sound. Thats why I like the concept of combining electronics with organics such as a string quartet, as I will do in my streaming concert this Sunday 6pm CET! 😉
- If you had to choose one Synthesizer (analog or digital) which one would it be?
Uhh tough one! But first thing coming to my mind is my Juno60 – I hardly never not want to use it 😉
- What is your favorite album of the past year?
Wasn’t so much into Albums last Year, cause there were many good singles and EPs. But as a whole, I liked Bon Ivers i,i – always touching.
- If you could change anything about the music industry, what would it be?
1. Les categorial thinking by editors.
2. better world-wide royalty and streaming share regulations for Artists (a minimum share on Spotify for example, somewhere in the ballpark of what apple pays). Especially with concerts down, artists, engineers etc need better regulations for what is being payed for streaming so they can also make a living and pay their musicians and engineers from that source, wich is now impossible.
- What was the best film you have watched during the quarantine?
The Shape of Water (I know it’s a 2019 movie but I hadn’t gotten to it yet)
- One last thing we should know about you?
My newest piece of gear is a pro race bike – Love giving things second thoughts on extra long tours through the fields, while still in fast but organic, self driven movement. It’s like meditation without standing still. I think it fits the music I want to create.
- Thank you Martin!