- Describe your sound in 3 words
Passive-aggressive, cinematic, cathartic
- You are based in Dubai. How do you relate to the local music scene?
The music scene in Dubai is still in its infancy in terms of development. There aren’t too many similar bands that make the same type of music. It’s pretty random actually.
Most of us at Goodboy// grew up outside of Dubai, moved there for work, and have been working on music after-hours only.
- Your music produces tension and captivates the listener. Tell us a few things about your creative process.
The music usually starts in the studio. We tinker about different riffs, beats, synth patterns maybe, or just lyrics and vocal melodies.
If we stumble on a good feeling, we try to capitalize on it, gradually build the song from there, and improve the sound after every listen. It’s a slow, methodic approach to song building 🙂
- What is your favorite album of the past year?
Anima by Thom Yorke was a really nice listen.
- ‘Favorite State’ could work perfectly as a soundtrack. If you were asked to rescore a film, which one would you choose?
Any slow cooker with a psychological neo-noir edge could work. Driving scenes are a plus!
Off the top of our heads, maybe Nightcrawler or Enemy? These fit our obsessive / anxious vibe.
- Should we expect a full album? Do people still listen to full albums?
The trend nowadays is to focus more on releasing singles, and find ways to plug them in to playlists. We’ll be doing that. The plan is to release a new track every few weeks. That said, there is definitely the intent to develop a coherent and fluid album within the next two years.
- If you could change anything about the music industry, what would it be?
Streams on platforms need to bring more revenue to the artists. Current system is a hindrance and has devalued music as an art form.
- Which book should we read while listening to your music?
Maybe “The Room”, by Hubert Selby Jr, for some complimentary claustrophobia and social torment. “Do androids dream of electric sheep” is another good one.
- One last thing we should know about you?
We make music for teabag and diaper ads during the day, and spend our evenings in the studio making up for it.
- Thank you!
Follow Goodboy// on Instagram