- Describe your sound in 3 words.
Repetitive, Pop-Inspired, Hypnopompic
- What is the story behind your name?
It took a long time for us to agree on a name. I recall we liked the word RAY (which maybe came from Tom Hank’s character in The Burbs) and maybe we went for a different spelling.
- You have managed to maintain a consistent style throughout the whole album. How easy though was it to stick to a coherent idea and not be carried away?
That part of it was much easier this time. I think we were all in a really good place personally. We spent less time overthinking and backtracking. We got lost in the process with our last record and it was a bit of a nightmare.
- If you had to choose one Synthesizer (analog or digital) which one would it be?
That’s a hard one. I have a Roland D-50 that I really like. It has some classic presets but parameters are not easy to adjust. We probably got most use out of the Juno-106. It’s a classic. Just beautiful to explore. I would go with that one. Yeah.
- What is your favorite album of the past year?
Gary Daly “ Lunar Landings”. It’s a collection of ambient and synth instrumentals that he recorded on a Tascam Portastudio between 1981 and 1987. Just brilliant! I’m a big China Crisis fan so I was in love with this record before I even heard it.
- There is growing tension in America. How Important are political statements by music artists? Can music have an impact on politics?
I believe it’s imperative for artists / entertainers to take a stance on important issues. I’m in a little progressive bubble with my friends and family, but I’m also aware that I live in a deep red state filled with oppression. Politics definitely has an impact on music so I have to believe that music can have an impact on politics.
- We love the fact that you release full albums. Do people still listen to full albums?
I hope so….I do. I love one-off singles and EPs too. The concept of a full length record can be powerful. Themes form, parts become holistic, the music can become someone’s else’s soundtrack for an entire half hour. Maybe your record ends up on repeat or becomes important to someone for a period of time. I love that albums can do that.
- If you could change anything about the music industry, what would it be?
There seem to be a lot of unnecessary middlemen in the music industry, which is a drag. It’s just set up that way. The industry is changing all the time though.
- One last thing we should know about you?
We (three) write our music together. It’s a collaborative effort.
- Thank you!