- Describe your sound in 3 words
Journey to jazzality
- What inspired you to learn vibraphone? Which are your major music influences?
As a classical percussionist, I learned to play the vibraphone among other melodic percussion instruments such as the marimba and the xylophone. I love classical music (e.g. Liszt,Chopin,Rachmaninoff), I enjoy playing pieces for percussion instruments (Rosauro,Sejourne) and of course I am deeply influenced from vibraphone jazz players (G.Burton, J.Lytle, C.Tjader) and other jazz composers (e.g. K.Jarrett, C.Korea, M.Davis,C.Mingus)
- Is improvisation a talent or a skill?
I think both are important. Talent makes easier the inspiration that you need during the improvisation, but you need to practice and practice and practice a lot to be able to make your inspiration reality.
- In which place or state of mind do you imagine people might listen to your music? What would be your dream performance venue?
I can imagine someone listening to my music while reading a book in front of a fireplace or in a jazz club and feel the rhythm through his/her body. But honestly an ancient Greek theatre would be a dreamy and enchanting place for Delasito project’s music.
- You blend many different genres in your music. For example in your album you can hear an ethio jazz flavoured track while another track can be more classical orientated. Was this intentional from the start of this project? Do you feel that many artists nowadays are too worried to fit into one genre?
The only thing that was important for me was to express all the melodies, the grooves, the thoughts and the emotions that were in my mind. I never thought “let’s make a jazz album”. It was me and the vibraphone..
- How do you relate to the Greek music scene?
Unfortunately, despite the talented and rapidly rising Greek jazz scene, the audience is still small. I hope that soon this will change, as I see many young people have started exploring the magic sound of jazz.
- Are these days full albums still relevant? Do people still listen to full albums?
For me, the only way for a composer to express all the things he has in mind is a full album. People will choose what they prefer to listen and for how long.
- If you could change anything about the music industry, what would it be? Is Spotify the music industry’s new Gatekeepers?
The evolution of the music industry is something that cannot be stopped and we all must be part of it. Spotify and other music platforms help the artists to share their music everywhere.
- One last thing we should know about you?
“Filodia” is a journey of emotions and pictures. Listen and be part of it.
- Thank you very much!