- Please introduce yourselves.
I’m Quentin from Pastel Coast, dream pop band from the northern French beaches.
- Describe your sound in 3 words!
Water, Air, pop.
- You have managed to maintain a consistent style throughout the whole album. How easy though was it to stick to a coherent idea and not be carried away?
We really spend a lot of time on that way. Making all our ideas in the same book ! One year in Studio was necessary, and maybe three or four compositions of the same song to finally gathered them all together.
- Do people still listen to full albums?
I really don’t know. As far as i’m concerned, i listen to albums everyday. Maybe « Singles » are more commons. Nowadays people listen very fast your music. I read that 40,000 tracks are new on Spotify everyday, that’s amazing.
- Which are your major music influences?
Our main influence is: “la côte d’opale”, the place is where we grow. Colours, air and water make our sound. We are also very close to england ( a few kilometers crossing the sea). I think it has ascendancy on our music. Far away from here, I also personnaly feel in love with the indie pop of USA (Beach fossils, the drums, black marble, craft spells), from the canadians (Alvvays) and of course for the french voice of Etienne Daho.
- Is language a barrier in music?
I don’t think so… Sometimes we wrote in English, sometimes in French. Sometimes both. That depends of the rhythm and the tone you need. Maybe one day we will sing in Russian.
- If you could change anything about the music industry, what would it be?
Wow. Music has to be played in Live. A lot of project are only created for digital distribution, but on the scene, it’s just shit. i think that sometimes promoters are really influenced by the number of views on YouTube and others digital distribution. we really have to reconsider “Live” as the first criterion.
- One last thing we should know about you?
We are preparing a new EP and our Second album in Secret ! stay tuned.