- Describe your sound in 3 words.
I D GAF
- What is the story behind your name?
I was just trying to come up with a name so I wrote down the alphabet and made some combinations to see what sound I like. I like Psyc, and Klo, so Psyclo it is.
- Born in Shenyang China, currently based in LA. What is the difference between these two in relation to their music scene?
I wasn’t interested in music until college so I never bothered to know about the music scene in my hometown or look for live shows. There’re a lot of indie bands in LA, I would just randomly go to somewhere with live music sometimes.
I never listened to enough music so I don’t really have a say but I feel like Chinese music is more about organic sounds and raw feelings since the language is very poetic itself, the music is more about the feelings that words convey. English songs are more about the feelings that words express.
- You began to write songs, first in Chinese now in English. Is language a barrier in music?
It’s different ways of thinking actually. My English got so much better since I started writing in English tho. I write down my thoughts in English if I wanna write a song in English, so not much a barrier actually but there is a barrier when you’re translating from one to the other. There are things in Chinese that a translation will never do, and there are feelings in English that a Chinese translation will never explain.
- What is your favorite album of the past year?
I don’t really listen to an entire album, but my favorite song of the past year is Popular Monster by Falling in Reverse.
- If you could change anything about the music industry, what would it be?
It’ll be utopian if the people who deal with money all day would care less about money but more about the art itself that they help bring to the world.
- Is it worth it for new artists chasing their dreams in the music industry when the numbers are totally against them? Do optimists sometimes fall into the trap of idealism?
If your passion towards your dream can ever be affected by someone else’s opinions then it’s never worth it.
- Violent movies and anime. Tell us your favourite one from each genre.
Saw, Final Destination, The Human Centipede
Another, Future Diary, Shiki, Corpse Party
- One last thing we should know about you?
I’m not anti social, I just simply don’t like people.
- Thank you!