- Describe your sound in 3 words
Warm (piano sound), melodic (compositional voice) and eclectic (references).
- Who is your favourite pianist?
- You have performed in iconic venues. What would you describe the best moment until now?
Playing Bernstein’s Wonderful Town with the London Symphony Orchestra at the Barbican, conducted by Sir Simon Rattle.
- How do you relate to the London music scene? Which city do you think is the world capital of nu Jazz?
I feel most involved in the London jazz scene as a teacher – I am a professor at Trinity Laban Conservatoire. I do not pretend to know about the world nu Jazz scene, but I see an exciting future for the music here in London in the next generation.
- Is piano improvisation a talent or a skill?
- What is your favorite album of the past year?
The EP Burnabe Jurado by Monocled Man.
- If you could change anything about the music industry, what would it be?
Fair regulations on streaming/downloads to favour musicians.
- Which book should we read while listening to your music?
The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster.
- One last thing we should know about you?
I have just completed a doctorate investigating improvised counterpoint.
Thanks Bruno Heinen!