J-Silk’s new single is delicate R&B track based on a polished hip hop oriented beat where it’s minimalistic production sets the vocals as the central instrument. We can’t wait for the post quarantine era to catch them live!
- Please introduce yourself
Hi, we are J-Silk, a future soul trio. A singer/songwriter, a bassist/producer and a drummer. We live in the South of France where the wine is pretty good.
- Describe your sound in 3 words
Fresh, groovy and heady.
- Which artists have been most influential for you, as a band and as individuals?
As a band, Little dragon is one of our biggest influence. We also love Anderson Paak, Flying Lotus, Erykah Badu, Rosie Lowe, kali Uchis, Alfa Mist, Kaytranada… More personally, mostly singers from the UK (Mahalia, Jorja Smith, Lianne La Havas…). I started singing listening to Amy Winehouse when i was 16.
- What is your favourite analogue synthesizer? And what is the best hip hop beat ever written?
I would say that we love our Moog sub phatty, but in our dreams we’d love to have a moog 1 for studio purpose only. J-Silk is a direct reference to the one and only J Dilla, hard to choose one track but i’d say Fall in love.
- What is your favourite venue you have ever performed? Can you share something funny that happened during one of your gigs? And what would be your dream performance venue?
I think it was in Paris opening for Poppy Ajudha. We love her music and her beautiful voice. The audience was sooo cool.
I have a few in mind :
- It was in London, a girl left me her phone number on a paper while i was playing, with written on it “ Just in case if ever you want to jump ship ” funny caus’ i did few years later.
- I often go off stage on shows but sometimes it’s hard for me to get back on stage caus’ i’m only 5 foot tall, so i get stuck with the audience.
- And a crazy night after a show in Berlin at Sisyphos club but i’d rather not talk about that.
We’d love to play at the Jazz café in camden, and also at village underground.
- If you could change anything about the music industry, what would it be?
I think the main discussion we have when being an artist, is how to pay the rent. Maybe a better distribution on streaming platforms would help us a lot.
- One last thing we should know about you?
We just released our single Bring Me Joy, and a sick music video made by Temple caché. Next to come is a 6 track EP released in fall.
- Thanks J-Silk
Follow J-Silk on :
Spotify : https://found.ee/j-silk-sp
Deezer : https://found.ee/j-silk-de
Apple music : https://found.ee/j-silk-am
Instagram : https://found.ee/in
Facebook : https://found.ee/fb-2
Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/c/JSilk
Website : https://j-silk.fr/